The other day I was talking to my brother about knitting (he has just decided to teach himself how to knit) and I realised that I had actually been knitting for almost 30 years! I felt very old, despite trying to convince myself otherwise by saying that it only seems like a long time because I was so young when I started. It did however make me think and I resolved to be a bit more grown up about my approach to knitting from now on.
The first step in this process is to be more realistic about those projects that I have hibernating. Will I ever finish them? Will they even fit any more if I do? Do I even still like the pattern? If the answer to any of these questions is no then I will frog them and se the yarn for something else (honest I will, it might just take me a while to psyche myself up to do it). Top of the frogging list are these two;
The blue cable cardigan I have had one the needles for 5 years! The multi-coloured cardigan is a much younger project and only went into hibernation a year ago when I got pregnant. Neither of them will fit me and my post baby boobs even if I did finish them so its time they became something else. A valid excuse to spend hours on Ravelry looking for new patterns I think.
The second step is to clear out all the acrylic and slowly replace it with yarn that actually contains wool. Now I could donate my acrylic to a local charity knitting group or one of the primary schools nearby but I am going to be a bit selfish. My plan is to use it up on another granny square blanket for my sister’s student digs. For her new flat in September there is talk of bunting and floral cushion covers so I think it will fit in quite well.
The third step is to improve on my technical knitting, this was brought home whilst working with some alpaca yarn this week. I’d started the knitting a couple of weeks ago but put it to one side, after getting part way through it, to work on another project instead. When I went back to it yesterday I discovered this;
As you can see, the row that was on the needles when I put it to one side has stretched and leaves a visible line on the knitted work. It was distracting me whilst I was knitting it so I am definitely going to have to rip it back to before the fault and re-knit it to ensure a smoother finish. Having spoken to a few other people on twitter it wold seem that alpaca is particularly prone to this stretching if left on the needles for any length of time.
Speaking of on the needles this week I have been finishing off some of the projects I mentioned in my last blog. I’m now at the beading stage for the frilly ‘o’ wrap
And the vortex shrug just needs sewing together and the collar adding;
I thought I had better pick up the socks I started for my OH about 18 months ago as well, serious case of second sock syndrome. I think I’ve managed about 3 rounds of these and I’ve already had enough. Boring yarn, boring pattern.
The allotment has been coming along nicely too, we’ve had a mountain of fat juicy strawberries, a few sugar snap peas and the first batch of new potatoes. One of the potatoes was a bit of a mutant but it made me smile so I thought I would share it with you.
Now that is one happy potato!