As a result of a shelf collapse in my wool cupboard (one half of a wardrobe – the other side is full of fabric) I set about sorting through my stash this week. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of nice yarn I had in there. I had thought it was nearly all acrylic but I managed to fill 2 of the 6 shelves with pure wool or wool rich yarn, that wasn’t even including the stash of hand spun yarn (that is in a different wardrobe!). That left only 3 shelves of acrylic and 1 shelf of cobweb weight yarn on cones which I seem to have acquired from somewhere. Operation ditch the acrylic isn’t going to leave me as yarn depleted as I thought it would. It did however remind me about my Colinette yarn impulse buy.
I bought the above yarn at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate last year and it has sat in the cupboard ever since. It seemed like a bargain at the time but I still haven’t found a suitable project for it. In total I have 600g (approx. 1726m) of 4ply but as most of the skeins are no bigger than 25g it makes choosing a project that doesn’t make you “look like a children’s TV presenter” (in the words of my friend Lisa) almost impossible. So, if any of you out there have any suggestions for uses/ projects please feel free to leave a comment or point me in the right direction otherwise I fear the lovely yarn will just end up sitting on a shelf and reminding me of just how much of a sucker I am for pretty yarn.
On the needles
This week seems to have been a bit slow on the crafting front, this is mainly because crafty baby is teething and its only fair that I should spend some of my time caring for her rather than playing with wool etc. Having said that I have managed to get the odd bit done here and there.
The triangular scarf that I started last week is now 2/3 completed despite a bit of a nightmare with the King Cole Galaxy yarn. The nightmare was resolved by unwinding almost quarter of the ball of yarn, untangling the section that was wound back on itself and at one point setting about it with scissors – a last resort but a necessary one as it was gone midnight and I had lost patience with it.
My sister’s crochet blanket is growing too. She asked for a traditional granny square design using up some yarn I’m trying to clear out of my stash so its a bit of a mindless/ no thinking required project (a good thing given current levels of sleep deprivation in the Crafty household). Eddy the cat seems to like it a bit too much, I have just had to stop him making it his “girlfriend” – perhaps I’d better not tell my sister about that!
As for the socks of doom…we do not mention the socks of doom!
I have a number of projects waiting to get on the needles as I received a lovely bag of yarn in the post this morning for some contract knitting I have signed up to do, which includes some pi shawls/ baby blankets. More details to follow next time.
Off the needles;
Nothing made it off the needles this time but maybe soon something will (NB: it will not be the socks of doom).
Yesterday I spent my free moments plotting for the Stitched Together KAL which begins at the end of August. The idea is that everyone knits something from their existing craft library – those books that sit on the shelves neglected in favour of the bright and beautiful new patterns on Ravelry. I have chosen Maeva from Rowan’s Nordic Tweed collection (another purchase from last years Knitting and Stitching show). Not one to make life easy for myself I have chosen to make a few modifications to the pattern, hence the need for plotting. Hopefully I’ve worked everything out that I need to but I shall go in to more detail in future posts once the #STCLKAL starts.
At the moment the back yarn is filled with random jars of fleece as part of my solar dyeing experiments. Success has been somewhat limited with these, I can make the nice clean fleece look exactly the same shade/ colour it was before I washed it but don’t seem to be able to achieve any other colour. More work needed.
I have had more success with the acid dyes in the microwave though. I decided to just have a play about with the 3 colours that I had in my craft supplies (red, yellow and blue) and here is what happened.
Don’t ask me how I got the colours I did as I have no idea and I doubt I’d be able to recreate them exactly but I had a massive amount of fun and it was super speedy (with the fleece spending at most 1 minute in the microwave). Not sure which colour is my favourite but the mint one seems to be very popular with my friends for some reason.
I have returned to form on the baking front using up some of the glut of courgettes from the allotment to make a courgette cake, a cake so lovely I had 3 pieces yesterday and felt absolutely no shame about it! Its a recipe my OH found from somewhere (I don’t know where as its scribbled in his cookery book in his own hand writing with the briefest of instructions) but I would be happy to post it in a future blog post if anyone is interested in having the recipe.
Last weekend’s trip to the allotment was mostly about fruit picking. At the beginning of the year we dug about 5 blackcurrant bushes up to make more space, keeping just the 2 most productive bushes for cropping this year. Whilst we aren’t going to end up with a full year’s supply of jam out of them we did get a good enough crop to fill the freezer. One bush produced some giant fruit, almost the size of marbles.
And finally I also managed to add to my collection of pictures of mutant fruit and veg (or in this case flowers) with this double headed sunflower.