As any of you who grow courgettes will know it can be a bit of a task to try and find things to do with the glut of them that seems to appear around this time of year but I have a solution. I mentioned in my last blog that I had been baking a courgette cake, same principle as carrot cake really but with fleck of green on the inside rather than orange, and I’ve had a few requests for the recipe so here it is.
200g grated courgette
150g caster sugar
125ml veg oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
grated zest of 1 lemon
1) Pre-heat oven to 160c and grease/ line a loaf tin
2) Beat courgette, sugar, egg and oil
3) Sift flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt and add cinnamon and lemon zest.
4) Stir dry ingredients in to courgette mix
5) Bake for 45 minutes intil a knife comes out clean.
6) Cool for 10 minutes before turning out.
* Apologies for the scant nature of these instructions but this is how my OH writes out the recipes in his note book, just be glad it wasn’t the flapjack recipe that has even less detail in it!