Over the past 2 weeks Crafty Baby and I seem to have had every germ/ lurg that is going and this has had a serious impact on my knitting time. Luckily I do still have some progress on a few projects to tell you about.
On the needles:
The only knitting project that saw any love over the last 2 weeks was the Hitchhiker scarf by Martina Behm which I cast on February 9th using some handspun yarn that I spun almost 12 months ago just after I’d had Crafty Baby. At the same time as I cast it on I made my mum cast one on as well, using some handspun yarn that I had given her 2 Christmases ago. We are having a bit of a mother and daughter KAL which could be quite interesting as we are both a little on the competitive side, not the brash in your face competitiveness but the quiet “I’ll just not sleep” kind.
I’m enjoying the pattern so far, its easy to memorise and good TV knitting the one thing that I’m not so happy with is my handspun yarn. The yarn itself is a single ply which is more or less consistently a 4ply/ fingering weight but it still has a lot of energy in it which means it twists and kinks a bit as I’m working with it and in places doesn’t make for the softest of finished garments. My other issue is that whilst I was spinning it originally I paid absolutely no attention to colour management I just broke it up in to manageable chunks to use on my drop spindle and then used whichever bit I happened to pick out of the bag. This meant that out of the 4 skeins I spun with the 150g I ended up with 2 that were very orange/ green and two that were very pink/ green. So far I’m up to 34 teeth and I’m on the second skein so I’m not sure that I will need all of the yarn unless I enlarge the scarf.
Off the needles:
I finally finished the tie of doom! It actually turned out really nicely even if it did take me 2 months to knit it. The brother that I knitted it for seemed to like it to which is even better although he did say he would have preferred it in orange! It has even had its first outing as he work it with his Fair Isle vest to my niece’s 18th birthday party. Very dapper!
Using some of the My First Regia sock yarn that my sister got me for Christmas I made a baby version of the second time lucky socks that I made for my mum at Christmas. The 25g ball was enough to make one pair of 12-24month old socks with a tiny bit left over (possibly for a hexipuff at some point). I’m not sure the orange will go with any of Crafty Bay’s outfits but it is a fabulous colour.
At the beginning of this month I also did some re-knitting, trying to make a version of the Castiel hat by Woolly Wormhead that actually fitted my niece. As a result of my niece having a massive head and my using a substitution yarn and not bothering to check my gauge the first one I made was way too small so I needed to make her another one. Luckily I had enough left over yarn to start from scratch without having to totally frog the first one. I went up 1 needles size for the ribbing and 2 needle sizes for the body of the hat and scaled it up to the next size (outside of the pattern range) and ended up with a much better fit. I only had to rip out a small amount of the first hat to have enough yarn to finish the second so I was able to customise the first one to turn it in to a baby version for Crafty Baby, a much happier solution than having to totally rip out something I had spent hours and hours knitting. If only I could do that with all my failed projects.
Progress against 2014 goals/ resolutions:
2 in 1 out goal – yarn used 200g total, yarn bought 150g but this was a gift for my mother so never officially entered my stash.
KAL with my mum – we both cast on for the Hitchhiker scarf on 9th February.
Knit something with my handspun – see Hitchhiker above
Knit 3 pairs of socks – so far this year I have completed 2 pairs of baby socks and have 2 other single socks in hibernation.
No progress on other goals since my last update (knitting 3 sweaters may well be a bit pie in the sky now as I haven’t even started the first one and its almost March!).