The one where life gets in the way.

I know, I know, it is an absolute age since I last posted on the blog and my only excuse is that life got in the way for a little while. Don’t worry this isn’t the beginning of a long sob story where bad things happen it really was just general everyday life keeping me busy (oh plus a little bit of good news but there will be more about that on a later post). Not only did I not have time to write on the blog, I didn’t have time to knit either – yes it made me feel a bit faint too! In fact I still haven’t cast on anything new since I finished the hitchhiker scarf weeks ago.

I have managed to squeeze in a bit of spinning here and there though. One of the reasons I wanted to get some spinning in was because I wanted to join in the SAL hosted by Chrissy from the Stitched Together podcast which runs from the beginning of March until the end of April. I really enjoy taking part in her KALs/ SALs because the chatter associated with them on her ravelry group is brilliant and I’ve already picked up a few tips and ideas for new projects.

The fibre that I’m using for the SAL is some Wensleydale from Fondant Fibre, I needed to do a fair bit of pre-drafting before I started but that was a result of my poor storage of the fibre not the original fibre prep. Normally when I spin I just pick whichever spindle happens to be empty and spin it as it comes letting the fibre decide what weight it wants to be but this time I started out with a goal in mind. I wanted to end up with a traditional 3ply fingering weight yarn that I could use to knit socks with, 50g in to the 100g stash and I seem to be achieving what I set out to do. From 50g I got 165m.

wensleydale

Because of the way I split the fibre and plied the singles the colour variations have ended up a bit more mottled than I would have liked but I guess colour management comes with practice.

Filled with spinning enthusiasm I decided to finish of some WIPs that had been sitting in my craft cupboard since the beginning of last year. I’d spun the singles for this yarn when Crafty Baby (now Crafty Toddler) was still tiny but I hadn’t got around to plying them. From the 200g I got 312m of an aran weight 2ply.

aran

I do have another 400g of the same fibre to spin up but I’m not sure how it will turn out. My spinning is much finer than it used to be so how well I’ll be able to go back to spinning thick enough to achieve an aran weight from a 2ply is anyone’s guess!.

After a conversation with a pregnant friend at the beginning of this week I’ve also had to dig out my crochet hook, it seems that her baby will be making an appearance 3 weeks earlier than planned so I thought I’d better actually make a start on the ripple blanket I agreed to make for her. I used the fabulous tutorial from Lucy at the attic24 website for the pattern and my friend decided the colour scheme she wanted. Luckily I had most of the colours in stash already so I only need to pick up a ball of yellow yarn in the next couple of days and I’ll have everything I need – not breaking my stash down rules either.

Given the lack of progress on knitting related projects I think I’ll keep quiet about my 2014 knitting resolutions until my next post!

Advertisements

About themanyknitsofnadine

Interested in all things crafty, I knit, spin, sew, crochet, quilt, grow my own and bake (although the baking these days is all allergy friendly) and I try and blog about all these things. I also host a bi-weekly podcast on incorporating slow living into all my crafty adventures
This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s