For the last week I have been waiting somewhat impatiently for an inter-library loan of the final book in the Game of Thrones series so I have been crocheting like a mad woman to pass the time until it arrives. Its surprising how much I have managed to get finished in such a short space of time.
One of the things I’d finished last time but only showed a teaser picture of was the ripple blanket I made for my friend’s new baby. I based this on the neat ripple pattern by Lucy from attic24. I used up some acrylic yarn I had in stash (with a couple of additions in the form of a yellow and an extra ball of white). Having a small child of my own I firmly believe that acrylic yarns are much more practical when it comes to babies. Anything that is going to need regular washing to get rid of random bodily fluids needs to be as robust as possible – not always something that can be said about woollen yarns. This is how it finally turned out.
As I still had some of the rainbow colours left I started on a circular blanket for Crafty Toddler, this was also based on a tutorial from Lucy at attic24 – the Flat circle tutorial. I was doing really well using up stash until it come to the final cream section and edging when I ran out so I ended up buying an extra ball to finish it off. So much for this being the year of the stash down! I think Crafty Toddler approved of the blanket as she refused to get off it for long enough for me to take a photograph.
My fastest project of the week was a poncho for Crafty Toddler using a pattern by Nicki Trench. My crochet tension has improved considerably over the last few months and I did actually check that I was getting the correct gauge before I started the project but still the neckline was massive when it was finished so I ended up picking up the stitches and crocheting 2 together on every 3rd stitch to tighten it up a bit so it wouldn’t fall off Crafty Toddler’s shoulders. With my stash down aims in mind I raided my wool wardrobe and pulled out some blue and red yarns (most of CT’s outfits at the moment are navy blue, red and white so I thought it would be a good idea to tie it in with them). I was really pleased with the finished poncho but my OH thought it was a bit on the jazzy side and kept trying to persuade me that it might look better in one solid colour (he’s not one for attracting attention). I did without the tassels as I think they can look a bit naff and just added a contrasting edge of double crochet (single crochet to any US readers). I still had the ends to weave in when I took the picture but it wasn’t bad going to less than 24 hours most of that was spent playing at the allotment and not even working on the project at all.
I started a shawl for myself as soon as I finished the poncho, the plan was to make a semi-circular shawl but as I was going free form it hasn’t quite worked out like that. I thought that I could achieve a semi-circle by just chopping the instructions for a circle in half but it seems that its not quite that straight forward, so I have ended up with a 3/4 circle which will sit nicely around my shoulders instead. Once I’ve finished the shawl I might make myself a poncho if I can find suitable yarn in my stash after that who knows, in theory I like the idea of making a crochet garment but I’m worried that it might look a bit too homemade in a bad way if I don’t get it just right.