Last weekend we had a very windy trip to a relatively local seaside town, my original plan had been to wear a lovely flowing feminine outfit and sandals whilst strolling down the beach. One look at the weather when we got up and instead I got out my thermals and heavy duty knitwear. I’m not really complaining though as it meant I got to wear one of my new makes and I love being by the sea even in the howling wind and lashing rain.
An unexpected highlight of the trip was seeing this sculpture on the beach.
I hope you like the picture because I got very soggy feet, when a wave caught me unawares and filled my wellington boots with sea water, whilst taking it.
The new make I got to wear was this crochet hat, all made from yarn I had in stash.
I based it on the hat made my Lucy over at attic24 but ended up fudging the pattern a bit as it was going to be way too big otherwise. I used DK wool and a 4mm crochet hook but there was no tension/ gauge information so that may be why I was going to end up way off, the other option is that rather than working in UK trebles as stated she worked in half trebles. Testing this second theory I made another one (also from stash) and that seems to have turned out the way it was meant to.
My favourite finished object of the week though has to be my shawl made from stash donated by the family of one of my local knitting group ladies after she passed away recently. I wanted to turn it in to something special to remember her by ( she was a very funny and feisty old lady!) so I made this.
As soon as I posted a picture of it on the internet I had a message from my Mum asking for the pattern. I had to confess that I had made it up as I went along so would need to make a second one to work out precise details, which I am now under strict instructions to do. When I get around to making the second and writing it up I’ll post the information here (once my mum has had first look at it of course!).
Its been quite a productive week on the crochet front and I have two other WIPs on the go, a pair of crochet socks and a poncho. The pattern for the crochet socks is one I’ve had for ages so I would need to do a bit of an internet trawl to find the link for it again but I will try and do that once I’ve finished them.
Progress on the socks was quite slow to begin with as I was using a new hook that didn’t really work for me. It’s an Addi crochet hook with the moulded handle so it looks a bit like a toothbrush. It felt really comfortable in my hand but the working length of the shaft was just way too short for the way I crochet – I tend to push the hook through nearly halfway up the shaft before bringing it back through the loop so trying to work with less than an inch of shaft stopped me getting in to a decent rhythm. I have opted to return to a bog standard hook and that seems to be speeding things up nicely.
The poncho is coming on a treat and using up a decent amount of stash as it goes. Again I am making up the pattern as I go along (quite a common theme with my crochet) and to an extent the finished object will be dictated by the amount of yarn I have in stash but I think its g to look nice and be really wearable.
As I’ve been making woolly hats, shawls and other heavy duty woollen goods the weather has decided to improve markedly so I’m going to love you and leave you to eat my lunch outside in the sunshine with Crafty Toddler.