Despite a slight tension related glitch at the beginning of the week I can now report that I have finished the crochet socks I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. I used King Cole Zig Zag sock yarn in the Gorse colourway and the pattern was a free one via Red Heart.
Firstly I just want to say how much I love the colour of the yarn, it came out as a self striper when crocheted rather than the zig zag pattern the brand usually makes when knitted up. I’m not sure if this was just the colourway I used and it would knit up as a self striper too, I’ll have to see when I get chance to knit with the left overs. Speaking of left overs I have a mere 14g left from the 100g ball, having used this brand before several times to knit socks I know that if I knit a pair for myself I will end up with 45g left over but if I knit a bigger size for my brother it will be closer to 38g. At 448m per 100g being left with just 14g shows just how much crochet gobbles up the yarn compared to knitting!
The pattern was easy enough to follow and for the second sock I just needed to check back every now and again to make sure I was doing it right, the only problem I encountered was a tension issue. Sock number 1 I used the recommended 3.5mm hook and got perfect tension. I had a short break between socks whilst I worked on other secret projects (details coming soon) when I went back to make sock number 2 using the 3.5mm hook the cuff and ankle sections worked up a whole inch wider than sock number one! How on earth this happened I have no idea so I had to go down to a 3mm hook to get the right tension. Maybe I was uber relaxed making the second one but I doubt it as I was still being harassed by a toddler whilst making it. Maybe its just one of those things best not questioned too closely I’ll just need to triple check my tension/ gauge for all future projects!
Whilst the pattern was easy I’m not sure I am the world’s biggest fan of crochet socks, the shaping looks a bit funny when they are not on your feet and because of the way they are constructed the striping sequence for the cuff is at right angles to the rest of the stripes on the sock. I’m not someone who insists that each sock matches perfectly where striping or colour sequences are concerned, in fact I’m happier if they are a bit mismatched but having the right angles still didn’t seem quite right to me. Next we come to the fit and feel of the sock, on the foot section it fits quite nice and snug no flapping about or slipping but the cuff is a bit loose compared to a knitted sock, the top of it also rolls over on itself – something which as a primary school child I insisted on doing with my knee high socks but not something I want my socks to do nowadays! Walking around in them they feel super toasty and warm, definitely a winter sock! They are also good and thick/ sturdy – which you would expect bearing in mind how much yarn they used up, so chances are they are I’m not going to be wearing holes in them any time soon but I can feel the lumps in the crochet much more obviously than in knitted socks. For this reason I know I would never be able to crochet a pair of socks for my OH as he is a total “Princess and the pea” when it comes to lumps and bumps in socks/ bedding/ anything else you care to name, I think I can cope with it but only time will tell.
Overall verdict, I love the yarn and am glad that I have another pair of hand made socks to add to my sock drawer but I think I might stick to knitting socks in the future unless I can come up with a different construction method.